Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Painting with Chalk

This isnt exactly ARMOR but the technique can be used on any model. This technique was taught to me before there were bottled pigment dusts. It starts by scraping pastel chalks with an exacto blade into little cups or egg sorters.
Using a stiff short bristled brush, dab a little dust onto the area of the model you want to fade or add color to. The model should be well dullcoated to help hold the chalk dust. Scrub, yes, I said SCRUB the dust into the model. You can wipe away excess with a damp q-tip. You can see the shading on the panels.


After I had colored the panels, I realized that there was too much contrast so I dullcoated with my Testors laquer and added a drop of ligt gray to the mix. It sealed in the pastels as well as dulling out some of the color contrast.

Now think of how you can use this on your ARMOR for fading or shading.

Vince Barrale   8-10-11



No comments: