This is the 1970s Tamiya kit with very basic detailing. It still had the motorized cut outs in the lower hull. This is very much out of the box.
The real fun with this was in doing it up in a winter scheme and rusting it a bit. I originally painted with Model Master Enamel light green, washed and weathered with oils, then over sprayed with the white wash. The final rusting was varying shades of Burnt Umber.
This was a Hobby Boss kit, pretty much out of the box except for the added stowage. What I didn't like about the kit parts was that the entire detailed window frame was clear. I had to install with the model and paint.
A few months ago, Kevin gave another demo regarding the new masking putty available in many forms and consistencies. I have the densest version which is less tacky and doesn't actually droop when stretched. This allowed me to make very thin lines for a worm pattern. The base coat was of the original olive drab intended for the vehicle. It was too boring for me.
After completing the detail painting and weathering, I want back to carefully chrome in the window slits. Once that was dry, I painted in the tinted crystal clear.
Finally I added the groundwork and dusted up the lower chassis and tires with mixed pigments to match.
This kit originally came with the flatcar, but I got it as a leftover from Tom a few years back. It is my first Panzer III in 1/35 scale. I built it out of the box, less the command antenna. I just noticed from the instructions, I must have added the tow hooks and cable.
There were some real issues I had with this kit. The sprues were cobbled together from older Dragon kits. The kit instructions indicated that you had to ream out ~1/4" of the turret hole on the upper hull to get the turret ring to fit. It was a lot of grinding, sanding to get this right.
There were also other instructions to cut or drill out other parts to make new ones fit in. Other places indicated having to measure out where some accessories should go in order to space them properly on the fenders.
This is one big kit. The upper hull is a single molded piece. Same for the lower hull. The interior is completely hollow except for the wheel assemblies. All of the hinges, hatches etc. are separate parts. I used Humbrol enamel paints, many layers of floor wax and dullcoats to weather with oils. Did some scrubbing with Mig powders and dry brushing.
This is not fiction. It really existed along with many other numbered armored rail cars produced by the Germans in WWII. Trumpeter has also begun producing some of the Russian counterpart rail vehicles.
The PZ IV Turrets are separate kits in themselves each with a detailed interior which you can barely see unless removing the turret.
The kit is pretty basic based on their early M1A1. As with
most early kits the sponsons where filled and a few parts needed to be changed out,
i.e. the Gunners Doghouse sight cover supplied was inaccurate. Commanders
station needed improvement, MCD & APU units soft detail replaced them with
those from a Tamiya kit.
Added styrene strip and bolt detail to top of side skirts as well as fender springs
to the front and missing cables to smoke grenade launchers and MCD.
Crew figures came from Trumpeter/Tamiya as with stowage from
the spare parts box. The roadway base came from "Phoenix Models"
modern highway set.
I enjoyed building the kit for friends and to all those who
like the big beasties.
The mystery on this one is that Trumpeter recently released this kit. If you have it, check to see what manufacturer is on the instructions. The kit I had was from an old smoker with a lot of bagged kits which had been parted out. The instructions were torn, smoke stained and more, but they were identical to the new Trumpeter kit.
The parts were also interchangeable with the Trumpeter kit. The mystery is who actually molded and produced the model. Since it was a prototype only, in reality, I wanted to put it into combat so used some decals from an Elephant kit. Similar in purpose.
I added a small stowage rack on the engine deck. I included piles of personal gear strapped to the spare tracks on the side of the superstructure.
Since the super heavy track shields could not be removed completely by hand, the kit includes the support crane but I was not able to find any details on its operation. I drilled out the pulley, added chains and a winch wheel to the device and added a spreader bar with hooks to simulate the operation of the lift assist for shield removal.
This will be one of my tributes to John Ford and probably the most favorite kit I found in his stash. I wasn't expecting to find a NITTO. This was an old 1980s German themed Sci Fi kit. Well, being tired of seeing all of the neat looking German Sci Fi, I decided to turn the tables and make this a WWII U.S. scout vehicle.
The original kit comes with a figure as 1/20 scale. It would never even fit into this armored suit. The actual scale should be 1/35 so I outfitted the stowage to that scale instead.
Kit even provided parts and instructions for mounting a bulb in the spotlight and a motor for the cannon. Of course I took advantage of this and Yes the light and cannon operate from a home made circuit under the base.
Other options included actual springs and copper wiring. I added some additional detailing then painted up and weathered.