Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tiger I Ausf 'E' Late

I somehow got this one finished well ahead of schedule. This is one of the early Dragon 1/72 scale kits. It all went together pretty well except the vinyl tracks. Hate those. The kit was out of the box. I didnt find any photo or film documentation showing that stowage was piled on the engine deck like all other tanks.

Base colors were airbrushed and then detailed by hand. After applying dullcoat and oil washed, I added decals and more dullcoating and more washes to dull the colors. Finally drubrushed the highlites and painted the tracks. Drybrushed the tracks then moved on to selecting the Preiser figures. I wasnt trying to make a diorama, just enough marching figures for effect.

After sanding and staining the base, I whipped up Sculptamold with Elmers Glue and acrylict artist paint and poshed the mixture into place. While it was setting, I coated the glop with white glue and sprinkled on the grass. I bolted the tank into place then the figures and foliage.

Ok. So I wasnt really finished with it. After some more research, I decided to add a few details to the Out of the Box tiger I. Not much difference, but I am adding the spare track links and the commander's turret mounted machine gun.  (11-7-11)

Vince Barrale
11-1-11



No comments: