Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Israeli M5 Halftrack Guntruck

It is surprisingly complete. This originated as the old Tamiya M3 Halftrack troop transport. When I first selected the IDF M5 as the subject of the "Second Hand Armor" challenge, I didnt realize how much the Israelis modified (cut and welded) this American made vehicle. There was a lot of scratchbuilding going on and it aint perfect, but close to the reference photos I collected of the variations of this vehicle.




Then I began adding the detail stowage on the exterior. I always glue the straps in place before adding te stowage. These are strips of painters tape. I wrap these around the tie bars then glue on the backpacks, crates etc.
 
 
 
Once I had as much of the detailing as I could stand, I base coated / primed the entire model in a dark gray color using a mix of Model Master enamels. I believe French Chestnut and Black.
 
Next I lightened the model with the base color and worked up the details from there. I detail painted the equipment and stowage. Then I dullcoated / soaked it with laquer dullcoat to seal in.
 
Next came the light wash with oils do darken the shaed of the overall vehicle. After that I selected some appropriate decals and set with Floor Wax over the rough surface.
 
After sealing in the decals with another dullcoat, I did the heavy wash with the Burnt Umber and Black oil paints. Another dullcoat and ready to set up the  groundwork. I use Sculpy mixed with elmers glue and an acrylic brown paint. While it is still wet, I coat it with Woodland Scenics glue and sprinkle on various types of gravel. I pressed in some larger stones while the glue was still wet. As it dried I pressed in the model.
Afterward I did some detail painting of the head and tail lights, mirrors and coated with Crystal Clear.
 
 


2 comments:

bulldog66 said...

You did a great job with this old kit! How did you finish the ration boxes on the back? I like the effect you achieved. It reminds me of wet cardboard.

Vince said...

Thanks Kevin. I am bringing it Thursday. You are correct. As you can see from the photos, I did most of the weathering before securing the paper ration boxes to the stowage. I hand painted the tape straps and used oils for the final effect. The paper does soak up the oil paint for a real weathered look.