Saturday, October 22, 2016

Iraqi T-72

This was built from an old DML kit. I had not done any Iraqi armor, but it was suggested by someone who had been buying my models on E-Bay. Once I did some research and found out about a few modifications, I was interested in trying.

Some of the special Guard tanks mounted US M113 commanders cupolas around the Russian machine gun.
I found many photos where the front tow cables eyes and hooks were painted red. This added a little color to a monochrome yellow tan subject..
I also learned that what I thought were thin steel side skirts were only thick black rubber mud flaps and in many cases weren't even painted.

I found someone on E-Bay who made specialized decals and had a sheet with various scales of Iraqi and Iranian flags for armor markings.

When I finished it on Friday, I offered it to the guy who suggested it, sent him these photos, and he bought it, so I wont be able to bring it to a meeting or enter it in any contests.

Vince B  Oct 22

1 comment:

Mike Stucker said...

Would have liked to see that in the flesh. Nice to see a conversion like that, to make something that won't look like everyone else's model of the same kit.