Wednesday, October 14, 2020

First Jon Baker Memorial Group Build -- and my Sturmtiger

My Sturmtiger won first place in our recent Baker contest at our Sept meeting.  There were 12 entries, one of which was virtual.  There were some terrific builds on the table, and I am honored that my club picket my kit as the winner.





The contest rules specified something from Baker, a figure and a base.

The Sturmtiger (380 mm assault mortar) is a Tamiya kit from Jon's estate, it was missing most of the road wheels and suspension, treads, figure, decals.  I called Tamiya USA and ordered the missing parts and they were here within a week.  The extra mortar shells on the ground are Tamiya and were in the box.  The 2 repairmen, tools and ladder are also Tamiya, and the two are working on the engine.  And then there is the engine and radiators.  The commander figure watching from the ground is a Dragon figure.

Most of the ground work came from John Ford's estate, too.

This photo shows the completed interior and light before attaching the turret to the hull and painting, weathering etc.  

Too bad the radiator compartments had to be closed up. 

2 comments:

Vince said...

I think your win was well deserved.

Werner said...

That is a fine model Don. Well done.