Tuesday, September 21, 2021

T-34/D30 122mm Syrian Self-Propelled howitzer

 This is RFM (Ryefield Models) #5030, in 1/35th scale.



It is painted with MIG paints; Sand Yellow #0030 is the primary color, then Zashchitniy Zeleno (Russian green) and Shadow Rust added as the camo.

This is the first time I pre-painted the wheels and tires before assembly.  Turned out quite nicely.



This kit is nor for the faint-of-heart.  It was a booger to build.  I had many issues, and am not sure if it is the kit, certainly some of it is the kit, or me, probably a little bit too.  My first issue came in Step 4, assembling the length-link tracks.  Following the instructions, combining parts C-1 and C-3, the length was too long.  I had to alter on the C-1 links by cutting it in half.



In this picture, you can see the shortened track, and the putty necessary to hid the fit issue.

In Step A-9, you are supposed to use PE to make the fuel tank straps mounted on the rear.  I could not get them to correctly bend and mount on the rear panel so I rummaged thru my spare parts and found acceptable parts to use as the tank mounts.  Once I got the fuel tanks mounted to the rear plate, I discovered that the hull was warped where this assemble would join the hull.  Had to do some pushing and shoving to get it super glued in place.

The sub-assembly in Step B-7 has lots of fiddle-bit parts.  Mine kept breaking off the gun, I had to super glue it in place several times.  Looking back the the instructions, I am certain this aiming mechanism is incorrectly glued in place.

Now for the interior.  Wait--there is NO interior!!  As you can see from the first picture, I made a rudimentary fire wall, front axle and driver and gunner seats.


You can barely see the seats with the hull on!


Then I painted and washed the interior, very heavily.  I added Mini-Art ammo cases and shells, 2 AK-47s, various packs and a fire extinguisher.



And finally with the hull on, I added Mini Art green wine bottles to add some color to the interior.


And the finished product!  Painted and heavily weathered track with Mig powders.

I don't think I will be buying another RFM kit soon!!I really like the subject, but it was very difficult to build!



4 comments:

Mike Stucker said...

Might have been a "booger" to build, but the finished product looks pretty good. Esepcially like the camo paint job.

Don Schulte said...

Thanks Mike!!

Vince said...

I agree that it was a highly detailed kit (Less the interior). Very fiddly. I replaced the photo etch grab handles with wire. I all used the mangled fuel tank holders as damage, since these were really beat up.

Werner said...

Nice job Don! She looks good!