Sunday, March 10, 2013

Stop Horsing Around

It seems like I need to do one diorama each year. The concept for this one was inspired by an old WWII photo of a horseman delivering a message to the crew of a Nashorn. I gathered up an old Dragon kit and some figures which would help me reenact the spirit of that photo.

The title "Stop Horsing Around" came from none other than Paul Sacco. The title fit, unlike the old Dragon kit. I fought my way through it. I wasn't able to find many good quality photos of the Nashorn in action, but I wanted to set the scene at the end of the long winter on the Russian Front. The surviving equipment would have been worn down and rusted out.
 
I painted the Nashorn with the original camouflage pattern of green & brown and then white washed it. I simulated the combination of rust and worn paint with lacquer thinner and oil washes.
 
Now it's time to take a break and get back to Sci-Fi for the summer.

 

No comments: