Saturday, September 5, 2020

Rheintochter R-1

 Well it wasn't so hot today so I was able to finish the groundwork in the garage. 


This is the AMUSING Hobby kit of the German's attempt at guided missiles. I must say that it came out a lot better than I had expected. You would not believe the amount of fidley bits, NOT photoetch, but lots of stuff I could have lost or launched in the tweezers. I was able to complete this out of the box.                                                                                                                                                          This was actually a 2 stage rocket.  The main thrusters and fuel tank was at the bottom. The guided portion and warhead were the upper sections.
I have seen some varying information on the actuality of this rocket and launcher. It did exist.  There are some great museum photos on line of captured rockets.

Rockets were launched.  The design was modified to reach higher altitude and I believe some were actually used in combat against allied bombers but to little effect.


The rocket fins were actually made of highly polished wood which lightened the weight of the rocket.  These were the first Guided Missiles.  The small fins on the tip of the rocket were control surfaces.

Vince B.  9-5.


1 comment: