Thursday, July 23, 2020

IDF - SHO'T Meteor

This is the AFV 1/35 scale kit of the Australian Centurion made to look like an early Israeli SHO'T (Meteor vs. KAL).  I approached this Project with the following goals (1) I would spend no money for any aspect of the build.  (2) the subject had to come from the Shelf of Doom (3) It could not be any shade of green.

I had won the kit at a club raffle about a year ago and had started the following night.  I finished the running gear and hull and then it migrated to the Shelf of Doom.  I have been wanting to build a SHO'T so I thought I'd take some artistic licence and have some fun trying to make this look like an IDF tank.

The AFV kit is vintage 2006 and if you have been building Takom, RFM, Tamiya or even Trumpeter  this one will be an eye opener as too how much the kits have improved over the last 10 to 15 years for you


I hit my spares box for many components and used plastic card for the skirts.  Ammo by MIG acrylic paints were used as well as enamel filters and washes.  I think I used Faded Sinai Sand (A.MIG-006) for the base color and proceed to lighten it for the follow-on coats


I had previously ordered some VMS Smart Chipping paint but had never used it.  It comes in multiple colors and if you follow their instructions you will get a pleasing representations of rubs, chips and rust.  I went a little light with it on this Project because the application is kind of scary, but it  worked just like it's YouTube video and I was happy with the outcome.


I am still in progress of making a base, as shown below.  It is kind of bland but there isn't really much out there in the desert to show 


It took me about two weeks to finish up to this point.  Normally it would have taken longer but I don't have much to do being at home waiting to go back to work.

Thanks for Looking - George


4 comments:

Don Schulte said...

Looks really good, George!!

Werner said...

George, that is a hell of a job brother!

Vince said...

Cant wait to see it in person, maybe next week? I knew of the Shot Kal but not familiar with the Meteor?

George Karker said...

As I understand it the SHO'T Meteor was modified from the original batch of Centurions that had the Rolls Royce engine. The SHO'T KAL has the continental engine. The KAL's engine deck sort of looks like an M60's deck. I don't know if all Centurions were modified to the KAL or just the ones purchased by Israel.

I am going to try to make it on Thursday.