Saturday, March 25, 2017

Trumpeter 1/35 Russian PL-37

So far, this is the best of the Trumpeter armored train series. The assembly just falls together. It can easily be done in one day, adding the fidley bits on just before painting. Plastic is well detailed and there is no additional drilling reaming or sanding needed.
 I left the rail wheel assemblies as separate components as I did each turret. Made the final painting sequence easier.  Its hard to see the wheels anyway but I wanted to paint and weather them in the iron rust color.

 I free hand airbrushed the general pattern of the tan green and black to better coincide with the real process. There wouldn't be any masking or hard edges. I then hand painted the details of the linking hardware, and machine gun barrels. After several coats of gloss I began the oil wash process in layers of Burt Umber and Black.  This softened the camo pattern and allowed all the bolt hardware patterns to stand out.
After several rounds of DullCoating, I began to pin wash the rust and wear around hatches, doors and hinges. More dullcoating then drybrushing to make the details pop and soften some of the over rusted edges.

Vince B 3-25-17

1 comment:

Jon Baker said...

Vince -

Very cool subject. I like the execution. Leave it to the Russians to make everything out of rivets. Good job on what seems to be a long build.

Jon Baker