Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Russian Ball Tank

This is the 1/35 scale Miniart Kit. I am not a big fan of Miniart, but just had to see what this was all about. It is hypothetical and could never have practically operated in this configuration. Though it is set up for a crew of 5, barely 2 people could fit. The weapons and engine etc were definitely from 1/35 scale kits, but the seats seem to be for 1/48 scale figures.



Though the solid cast ball halves would have been welded to the interior frame, there was too much interior detail to let go unseen, so I decided to pose the model in a split hull configuration.


As much fidley bit details as there were, I thought of a few more which could be added if I decide to do other version of this kit.
I decided to have some fun with the camo pattern which I free hand airbrushed.


Vince B.  6-10-20

4 comments:

Werner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Werner said...

This vehicle has Fascinated me since I learned that both the Germans and the Soviet Union seriously contemplated ball tanks as a viable solution. Good job.

Mike Stucker said...

Fantastic work, Vince. Hinged open like that is great idea. You are not the first person to comment on the seat/interior size.

Werner said...

Just an FYI. Here is a link to an article about a real ball tank captured by the Soviet Union.
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2-german-prototypes/kugelpanzer/