Sunday, April 5, 2020

Chinese PLA PTL02 Tank Destroyer

We interupt your regularly scheduled Magach builds for a drone pilot recognition model. I finally finished the Chinese PTL02 tank destroyer I 've been working on. I chose to paint it in a digital camo scheme to try something new and different. Results are varied.


I made the masks by placing Tamiya masking tape over grid template made by Alexen Model, and then traced the grid with a knife to cut out the mask. I've included one photo of the first masks in place on the first coat of paint. It is 4-color camo, so 3 layers of masks were required. I also had to paint the model in reverse order, darkest to lighest, instead of lightest to darkest.


The template has 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, & 3mm grids. It works well except I think I really needed 2.5mm squares. Oh well. I did some masks in 3mm and others in 2mm. Ended up with a decent approximation of the real pattern. It ends up with a bit of paint edge buildup on the early masks, though. Also, you need to be really careful at squaring up masks and making them touch properly. I didn't always do that.



As it is a recognition model, I didn't put any washes or weathering on it as these were not required.








Interesting camo pattern to attempt. Would I try again? Maybe. 4-color on this large an object is a lot of work. I spent 4-6 hours total just cutting and applying masks. We'll see.

Forgot to mention, I had to leave the tow chain off the vehicle as it shattered into mutiple pieces when cutting it off the sprue. VERY fragile.

2 comments:

Vince said...

Yes, That looks great. I hope to see it in person before you have to turn it over.

Werner said...

Well done Mike. Looking forward to seeing this one.