Tuesday, April 21, 2020

M4A3E8 Sherman

I started this  first of this year. Its the standard Hobby Lobby Tamiya shelf kit. This didn't fit as well as other Tamiya kits, but was OK.

I wanted to do a Loaded Sherman for some time and had the Legend Stowage set for this. I found photos of these tanks with field welded channel and angle iron baskets on the sides and turrets which were filled mostly with sandbags.  

These baskets were unpainted as they were quick add ons, crudely welded to the hulls. The Legend resin sections were not properly fitted.  I believe that the large sections had warped from the resin pull from the molds or from the initial casting. I had to backfill all of these with tissue paper to conform to the model.

Since I already had the model built and painted prior to fitting the Resin, I had to cut away much of the details such as the light and guards, machine gun, fenders etc. Then I had to re-prime and paint the resin after mounting onto the tank. So with all of the stowage on, ropes added, I had to hand paint each of the items. 
I used the washes to help blend all together. Dry brushing brought out all the details on the stowage and sandbags. I did some rubbing and chipping on what was left exposed on the hulls and used pigments with plaster in track areas. Its not too bad overall.

Vince B.  4-22-20



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I do like it, Vince. Why not add/share some of under-construction pix you sent us, too?

Werner said...

Nice model. I had fun building my Easy 8 and my cousin currently building one. Good job.