Saturday, April 18, 2020

COVID #2 - In Progress

This is my 2nd endeavor during this COVID shut-in to complete kits on my
Shelf of Doom (SoD).  This is the 1/35 Takom Krupp 21 cm Morser 10/16.  I got it Christmas 2018 and of course started it right away.  Once built it went on the SoD and there it sat.  Last week I decided to take a shot a completing it, and as you can see I'm not quite there yet.  Here is what I've done so far ....


I have primed the kit with Tamiya grey rattle can primer and then painted it an overall yellow grey (Ammo by Mig acrylic).  I then used Ticy Tack putty (the stuff that holds up posters) to mask off the squiggly line camo pattern.   After the masking with the putty I painted the overall model in Forrest Green.  Once dry for a few hrs I removed the putty.  This method works really well for me, but leaves sharp color demarcation lines.  To soften these sharp lines I did two coats of a green gray enamel filter and some umber oil washes.  That's were she sits today.  I think I'll do one more wash with a little darker umber oil wash.

I have started a cheap base and filled it with some foam board to give it some height.  Next step here is to apply Celluclay for the ground work and fit in a resin fence and sandbag wall.

Things to keep in mind, that I usually forget.
1. If using enamel filters (like the ones from Mig) wait at least 48 hrs before applying.  I did it at 24 hrs and the coatings got all sticky.
2. On a similar subject, if applying an oil wash, make sure the enamel filters have thoroughly dried.  As simple as this seems, I usually mess this step up because I'm impatient.
3. When your wife says "go do whatever you want" doesn't mean go in your room and model all day.  Apparently after 33 years of marriage I still can't recognize sarcasm.




No comments: