Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Academy Magach 6B

Well, this is what makes this all worth while.  Finding something to really help out the next guy.
Part 3: How NOT to F*^&K up your model. Better me than you.  I can fix the issues I found. Mostly this is about better sequencing the assembly of certain items.

The wheel assemblies are simple 2 piece with a polycap in the middle. No problems there, but on to step #5. Need to be careful to follow all of the small  notes of details to be trimmed off of the upper hull before continuing. Also I always leave off the fidley bits which could break off during handling such as the stowage bin handles parts C21. These can be added later before painting.

Issue A) Note that there are several small details which need to be cut off and sanded down to allow replacement parts to fit properly. I recommend NOT installing L35, L14, L40 etc. in step #5.  I thought these were additional Fender supports.  They are actually the side armor supports and should be put on later in step #8 to help align them on the upper hull. Best to attach them to the side armor frame first. This will also delay the installation of Boxes M12, M13,  M15 which should be carefully considered how they fit differently.
For M13, you would need to trim down the engine hatch frame. For M12, you would only need to remove the molded in bolts of that engine hatch frame.





Issue B) Frontal Armor for top and lower hull. Recommend Not installing lower hull armor assembly for this until you have mounted upper hull and are ready to match to upper hull plate. I thought I had the lower assembly aligned correctly according to step #4, Once I tried to align the upper plate in step #6, I found ~ 1/32" gap which I can fill with evergreen strip.


I hope this all helps. I will continue with the fixes and remainder of step #7 tonight.

Vince B. 3-24-20

No comments: